Saturday, January 6, 2007

Wildcard Weekend


I'll keep it brief on the basketball teams. They lost again today, playing well for stretches but end up losing again. More later...

First, a shout out to my good friend Laura. Here's her first article in the Daily News. It's not sports related, but still reads better than Lupica:
http://www.nydailynews.com/boroughs/story/485861p-409038c.html

While we're plugging people, here's my good friend Patrick's blog on the Islanders where you can actually read good analysis on hockey instead of this crappy, half-hearted blog:
http://thedriveforfive.com/

Also, check out the radio shows on WBCR AM 1090, streaming live on the web at BrooklynCollegeRadio.Org The Sporting Goods is on Wednesdays from 2 to 4 and the Tri-State Hockey Report is on Fridays from 1:30 to 2:30.

Now that we've gotten business out of the way, let's get to the good stuff and predict this week's winners in the NFL.

Colts vs. Chiefs- Over/under on Larry Johnson's total rushing yards is 250. I can't see anyway that lightweight defense of the Colts is going to stop LJ. Then again, I can't see that horrific Chief defense is going to stop Peyton and company. This game could seriously be decided by who wins the coin toss. It'll probably be an offensive onslaught by both teams and very rarely does Indy lose games like that. Colts 38 Chiefs 27

Seahawks vs. Cowboys-
The 'Hawks secondary is beat up. Marcus Trufant, Kelly Herdon and Jimmy Williams are all out and their receiving corps is also injury depleted. That being said, I can't see the Seahawks losing this game. Matt Hasselback never gets the credit he deserves and oh-by-they-way they still have Shaun Alexander. It's nite-nite for Tuna, the Romosexuals and the Playa. Seahawks 20 Cowboys 10

Patriots vs. J-E-T-S -
It's the student versus the master, New York versus Boston. The match up that tips this game to the Pats? Tom Brady vs. Chad Pennington. Pennington has been a nice story this season, but I just don't see Brady and the boys to lose a playoff game at home. There are a few things certain in life: death, taxes and Tom Brady is more often than not successful in January. And who can argue with anyone that went to Homer Simpson's Showboating Academy? Patriots 17 Jets 6

Eagles vs. Giants - The last time the Giants were on the road in a playoff game against Jeff Garcia was in 2002. Can you say Trey Junkin? Anyway, I don't think this game is going to be close. The Eagles are on such a role and they've finally smartened up and started running the ball more. Andy Reid & Jim Johnson > Tom Coughlin and whoever is on his coaching staff. Tiki Barber ends his career in Philadelphia, where no doubt the classy Philly fans will give ole 21 a nice, warm reception. Eagles 31 Giants 10

Enjoy the playoffs folks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wasn't it 2 or 3 years ago when the Colts and Chiefs played that playoff game where neither team punted. Looks like we'll have an encore.

Anonymous said...

Where's the shoutout for my website? I feel slighted!

You damn right it reads better than a Lupica. But that ain't saying much since an obituary reads better than a Lupica. The most overrated writer in the history of writing. It's not bad, but it's overhyped average. Add to that he's condescending and likes to smirk a lot. Mike Vaccaro should carry around a leather glove and use it to slap him whenever he sees him. And say, "That's for getting the credit and money that I deserve."

Lucky, don't sell yourself short. The blog is poppin' and you've got a small fan following. And even if it sucked, it'd still be more interesting than the Islanders. Pfft! No disrespect to Pat, but the NHL right now has fewer viewers than the hackysack clique in front of Boylan. And the Isles ratings probably can't compete with BronxNet public access (Ch. 68 'round here). Shoutout to Pat, though. If you're one of the 4 Americans who like hockey, go check it out, and spread the word.

And I'll myself my damn self: http://sjh42.wordpress.com/

It's the best damn sports blog. No "period," I don't wanna get sued. I haven't updated it in a while, but there shall be a revival. And you'll love it!

Listen to BCR, too. Shoutout to our lovely program director, Khadija. We luv you, girl.

I agree with Lucky's picks.

Colts over Chiefs: 31-24
Seahawks over Cowboys: 23-20
Patriots over Jets: 27-13
Eagles over Giants: 34-20

* But I wouldn't be shocked if the Giants won. If the Capricorn moon aligns with Gemini's sun and they have one of those once-every-two-months games where they play up to 75% of their potential, I think the Giants could win a close one. Even with all their flaws. The Giants are "better" than a lot of teams they're not better than. That Eagles defense isn't that good, so although the Giants won't force a single 3-&-out, their offense is capable of putting it on Philly. But if I was a betting man - I'm not - I'd put $100 on that not happening.

Anonymous said...

Gator, I think it was the season 2003 when Priest Holmes was tip-toeing or flipping into the end zone every 10 minutes. But I do think there was a punt. Off memory, I think Hunter Smith punted in the 4th quarter.

Anonymous said...

I just remember watching that ridiculous game asking "do these teams play any defense?" Over/Under on punts in the Colts-Chiefs game is 3. I'll take the over.